Thursday, September 16, 2004

knitting-mania

I have taken to knitting on the bus and subway, during lunch in the cafeteria, and whenever otherwise not engaged. My fingers can't get enough. If I'm not typing away on the keyboard...they are itching for needles.

My sister's stocking is on hold until I get dpn in the correct size. They will not be metal! (see previous post)

In the meantime, I am working on a Christmas present for my mother. My first afghan. It's great. You work the patches individually and then sew them together at the end. I really like this. You work on itty, bitty, portable pieces. Each one takes a day or two (especially when you work as compulsively as I do). You feel you are making great progress...rather than working on a massive piece that never seems to get closer to the end. I'm really excited about this.

I have lain out the patterned squares and the various colors on a piece of paper...now all I have to do is keep knitting like a mad-woman. Can you understand my insatiable fingers?

I do have a question about the afghan. It reads - selvage st = garter st (knit every row). However, when it says Selvage St in the pattern, it isn't for an entire row. Does this mean I simply knit the one time...or do I knit one row and pick up afterwards?

Call me clueless. Logically I think I should create one row of knitting all around each block to provide a uniform edge through which to sew them together, but I don't feel that is how the pattern reads.

This is the only confusing part...so far. Whew. Can't wait to go home and knit. ;-)

Hope everyone is safe from Ivan...this has been a crazy hurricane year!!!

No comments: